• Question: Do you think that society is doing enough to encourage and inspire children to learn and love Science?

Asked by 836ceng22 to Megan, Mzamo, Ola, Olivia, Weiyi on 7 Nov 2016.
    • Photo: Mzamo Shozi

Mzamo Shozi answered on 7 Nov 2016:

Definitely. I mean “I’m a scientist” is a classic example of this. You also get various science expos where scholars can go and learn and participate.

• Photo: Ola Michalec

Ola Michalec answered on 7 Nov 2016:

Hmm..I am not sure because I don’t work at school or have children myself:P But I think we could definitely have more outdoors and hands on education. And more individual approach – not every one learns in the same way.

• Photo: Megan Seymour

Megan Seymour answered on 7 Nov 2016:

Nope, I think we could, and should be doing a lot more.
      You will be pleased to know though, that recently universities have started being judged on how well they communicate their research, and this includes things like visiting schools and helping to inspire children at science festivals.
      Some researchers didn’t really see the point in doing this before, but now it is becoming an important part of how research institutions are ranked in things like league tables.
      So hopefully, scientists will be doing a lot more in this department soon!

• Photo: Olivia Ashton

Olivia Ashton answered on 8 Nov 2016:

There is always more that could be done! I think there should be more done to view science in an inspiring and practical/hands on way.